Responsive. Tough. Compassionate.

Protect Your Children’s Best Interests And Your Parental Rights

Determining child custody tends to be one of the most stressful parts of a divorce. Even if you and your spouse are on amicable terms, no parent wants to give up any time with their children. However, protecting your kids’ best interests should always be the top priority.

It is certainly mine. At Murdock Percy Law, PLLC, I work with parents throughout Utah to do what is best for their children in a custody dispute. As a family law attorney with nearly a decade of experience, I have encountered just about every scenario imaginable in custody cases, including very contentious trials. My goal is to preserve your children’s best interests as I help you advocate for your rights as a parent.

What To Know About Child Custody

There are two forms of custody: legal and physical. Legal custody is the right to make decisions about a child’s education, medical treatment, religious upbringing and other important lifestyle factors. Physical custody is where the child resides primarily. Some factors that affect custody decrees include:

  • Parents’ ability to care for the child’s needs
  • Parents’ ability to co-parent
  • Parents’ physical location
  • The child’s relationship with each parent
  • The presence of abuse, neglect, addiction or mental illness

Parents often have joint legal custody; in fact, Utah courts assume that joint legal custody is in the child’s best interests and will award it whenever possible. While parents may also have joint physical custody, the court does not automatically assume that this suits a child’s best interests, particularly in situations involving abuse.

Let’s Talk About Your Child’s Future

Every custody and visitation situation is unique. There is no way to get an accurate idea of what to expect by reading a web page. When you meet with me in person, we can go over the details of your situation, and I can give you a better idea of what to expect. To meet with me in an initial consultation, please send me an email or call my Heber City office at 435-310-9606.